2018/07/28

A journey through a field of feelings

How long have you been creating art for?


Quiet long already. Since 1980 but I dare not to call that art... Those were just kiddy drawings... I made my first painting in 1996. Between painting I still create comic strips, cartoons and illustrations for magazines.

What is your background, did you study art or are you self taught?

I am an autodidact but I guess life as itself can be a very good, never-ending study. I am a journalist as well so sometimes I get the change to speak artists and squeeze some (especially for me very interesting) information out of them... And reading about art can be a learning school also.

What are your favorite materials to work with?

Ink and charcoal. And water-colours. I am old school. Coloring on computer or even drawing without pencil and pen seems like playing drums on a keyboard. A kind of fake...

Where did the idea for Qvaestio come from?

Last year I was in a mental dip, a sort of depression, and by searching for an explanation, I was sure that a happening during my youth must be reason why I felt that way, I transformed my thoughts into those of my dog. He was a while really my only and best friend. So perhaps he could give me an explanation. When I was out of that dark situation I work this idea into a story. If possible how would look a memory of a dog? It has to be without words and judgment. That would only be images. And in case of my dog, which had a bad sight, it could be expressive and psychedelic. I know that dogs just see black and white... but I don't believe that...

Tell me about the artwork that runs through Qvaestio – what story does it tell?

It's the life story of my dog as I interpret it. And I guess he was kicked when he was a small puppy. It gives an explanation why he was afraid for strangers. When he arrives at our home he has to deal with a loud Chihuahua. Being also afraid to be left alone my dog must have made a journey through a field of feelings. Sharing his happiness - stones were his best friends - he seemed to judge people for his body language and the way they watch. Indeed, the human factor in a dog which we people like to think to see. Being witness by a suicide attempt, being the savior, a spoil-sport in a love relation, a friend of nature... my dog must have has an exiting life.

What do you hope viewers take away from Qvaestio?

It would be a great thing to read or hear that somebody just has a kind of feeling. Something you get when you listen to a certain song. Or experience by smelling in fall….

Interview/text: Emma Bergmeier

©2009 X-Press Magazine, Perth, Australia